Our Medical Malpractice Lawyers Fight For Victims
Medical negligence is surprisingly common. According to a recent study by Johns Hopkins University, medical malpractice is the third-leading cause of death in the United States, after heart conditions and cancer. When the unthinkable happens, you need an experienced medical malpractice lawyer who will fight for you.
Fishwick & Associates assists malpractice victims and their loved ones with complex claims against physicians, nurses, hospitals and other medical providers. Schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys by calling 540-643-9772 or by completing a simple online form. We will listen to your story and help you understand your legal options.
Below, we have more information that may help if you have been injured or lost a loved one as a result of medical malpractice.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor or another health care professional deviates from the appropriate standard of care, causing injury or harm to a patient. Common examples of medical malpractice include:
- Anesthesia errors
- Birth injuries to either the mother or child
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis
- Failure to treat
- Failure to warn a patient about a treatment or procedure’s known risks
- Medication errors
- Nursing home abuse
- Surgical errorsTo bring a medical malpractice case in Virginia, you must prove that a medical provider failed to meet the standard of care and caused your injuries. Proving medical malpractice nearly always requires complex legal and medical analysis from experts in a variety of fields.
Medical Malpractice Compensation
Medical negligence can change your life forever. Along with medical bills, you may struggle with permanent limitations, emotional trauma, lost income or even a shortened life span. However, every medical malpractice claim is different and deserves a personalized legal assessment.
Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for compensation related to:
- Medical and hospital bills
- Rehabilitation and therapy services
- The cost of medications and medical devices
- Lost income and earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Modifications to your home to accommodate for your condition
However, Virginia sets strict limits on the amount of compensation you can receive for most medical malpractice claims.
Because medical malpractice calculations are so complex, it’s in your best interest to consult with an experienced attorney before you pursue a lawsuit or respond to a settlement offer. Without guidance, you may lose out on valuable compensation.
We Are Here To Help You
At Fishwick & Associates, we thoroughly investigate our medical malpractice cases. When necessary, we consult with experts, including physicians and long-term care planners who can help us estimate their future needs. For an assessment of your case, contact us through our website today or call 540-643-9772.