John P. Fishwick, Jr.
Harvard College, B.A., June 1979
Washington and Lee Law School, J.D. cum laude May 1983
- Note and Comment Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review
Chaired, United States Magistrate Selection Committees for Western District of Virginia (1997, 2003 and 2011)
A Roanoke native, John has spent his entire professional career helping individuals who are facing serious legal challenges – both civil and criminal. John is not afraid of a tough case and has won significant civil verdicts and obtained acquittals for a number of clients charged criminally. John is honored that many cases he takes are referred to him by other lawyers. He is also fortunate to work with a talented group of attorneys and staff at his firm, many of whom he has worked with for years. No stone is left unturned as John looks for ways to win your case.
John has significant and extensive trial experience, and he has represented individuals in serious personal injury cases as well as individuals charged with serious criminal crimes. As a former federal prosecutor, John brings vast experience to your aid when you face a serious challenge in your life. Additionally, he has successfully handled consumer cases, commercial cases, qui tam cases and cases involving civil rights.
Former U.S. Attorney for the
Western District of Virginia
John has recently returned to private practice, after serving as the United States Attorney for the Western District of Virginia. John was appointed by President Obama and unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate for this position. As the highest-ranking law enforcement officer in the District, John focused his attention on the prosecution of violent criminals and on those responsible for the heroin epidemic. Additionally, he was actively involved with the Student Pledge Against Gun Violence program, offender reentry programs, and with opioid and heroin prevention. He was also a member of the following subcommittees: Violent and Organized Crime and Civil Rights.
- Ted Dalton American Inn of Court
- Executive Committee (2004 – 2015)
- President (2011-2013)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Governors (2002-2011)
- Chair, Commercial Litigation Section (2002-2008)
- Chair, Business Litigation Section (2008-2011)
- Virginia State Bar
- Bar Council (2001-2007)
- Standing Committee Legal Ethics (2003-2007)
- Member, Board of Governors, Criminal Law Section (2012-2013)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Committee Member, Federal Judgeship, Western District (2008-2013)
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference, 2016 Drum Major for Justice Award (for civil rights work)
- Selected, Best Lawyers of America, 2005 - 2015
- Progressive Democrats of America, 2011 Leadership & Activism Award (for civil rights work)
- Selected, Virginia Super Lawyers, 2008 - 2015
Follow me on Linkedin