John P. Fishwick, Jr.
Harvard College, B.A., June 1979
Washington and Lee Law School, J.D. cum laude May 1983
- Note and Comment Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review
Chaired, United States Magistrate Selection Committees for Western District of Virginia (1997, 2003 and 2011)
John P. Fishwick, Jr. has recently returned to private practice, after serving as the United States Attorney for the Western District of Virginia. John was appointed by President Obama and unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate for this position. As the highest-ranking law enforcement officer in the District, John focused his attention on the prosecution of violent criminals and on those responsible for the heroin epidemic. Additionally, he was actively involved with the Student Pledge Against Gun Violence program, offender reentry efforts, and with opioid and heroin prevention. He was also a member of the following subcommittees: Violent and Organized Crime and Civil Rights.
Prior to becoming U.S. Attorney, John had over thirty years of significant trial experience in both state and federal courts. As an example, John and Monica Mroz have successfully represented nursing students in cases involving colleges who lost accreditation without informing the affected students. Additionally, he successfully represented individuals whose civil rights were violated. He has also represented individuals and businesses in commercial disputes and in personal injury cases. John also served as a law clerk, working for federal Judge James C. Turk, upon graduation from law school.
His practice has, and will continue to be, diverse and geared toward helping individuals with their legal needs.
- Ted Dalton American Inn of Court
- Executive Committee (2004 – 2015)
- President (2011-2013)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Governors (2002-2011)
- Chair, Commercial Litigation Section (2002-2008)
- Chair, Business Litigation Section (2008-2011)
- Virginia State Bar
- Bar Council (2001-2007)
- Standing Committee Legal Ethics (2003-2007)
- Member, Board of Governors, Criminal Law Section (2012-2013)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Committee Member, Federal Judgeship, Western District (2008-2013)
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference, 2016 Drum Major for Justice Award (for civil rights work)
- Selected, Best Lawyers of America, 2005 - 2015
- Progressive Democrats of America, 2011 Leadership & Activism Award (for civil rights work)
- Selected, Virginia Super Lawyers, 2008 - 2015
Follow me on Linkedin